Monday 9 July 2007

Praha

Somehow semi-consciously i got into the plain, which took me to Prague, with no cash in my pocket, and thoughts in my head all about my laptop being in the luggage, which i had to check in, and my precious thesis thoughts under the risk of getting ruined in it.
when i arrived, i realized i didnt know where to go. i knew i was staying in the dorm, i didnt know the name of the dorm, nor the name of the university it belonged to, nor the name of the street it was situated on. i had nothing. i set down, unpacked my backpack. aha, what have i got here, cool, the dorm is close to the restaurant, where we gonna have breakfast, Na farme (which, as i've learnt later, meant on the farm) Kamycky 129, Praha 6. i showed this piece of paper to various people trying to speak russian, english and german to them, some of them spoke none, some did speak english, but they didnt know where it was. i found a lady in the information desk, she searched in her computer for a while, and then took a piece of paper and wrote something, and starting explaining to me in a manner my english teacher in the sixth form used to teach us to pronounce sentences, very slowly and monotoneously. i enjoyed these 7 minutes, which felt like an eternity.
found the bus. bought the ticket 20 CHK. it was a good strategy to find the dorm through the restaurant.

another funny thing was the story with a cash-machine. i was overly happy to find not only one but three cash machines all situated in 20 centimeteres from each other. i inserted my card. wow, it worked. but what the hell is that?! 200 CHK, 500 CHK 1000 CHK 1500 CHK, is it a lot? how much do i need? how much does one need? how much is 200 CHK? well i withdrew 500, but later i had to go back to withdraw more, because it turned out to be only 20 euro.
i was supposed to get off in the Namesti something (means Square), the lady in the information desk wrote that. i couldnt properly read her handwriting, even if i could i didnt know how to pronounce it properly, so i just showed my little piece of paper to the driver. he said he knew the place. we were driving and driving, fewer and fewer people left in the bus, in a while i noticed we were out of town. the bus stopped, and the driver looked at me giving the sign that that was the square. i got off with the confused feeling about czech architecture. all i could see was a huge field and a lady crossing road. she couldnt speak none of the languages i can speak. i can speak a lot (in comparison to the average) but damn this is so little at times. well anyway, she sent me in a different direction. it took me almost an hour to go back to right place. i somehow found it. there were many kind people who sincerely tried to help this poor little girl with a heavy luggage (so typical me).
got to know the people, some central asians, some australians, canadians, and eastern europeans. a nice team. after a nice dinner, i went to the dormitory, which is a real luxury. loads of furniture, it has a really home-like feeling, pretty cosy.

had a nice walk in the prague city centre, and in the charles bridge. so far i like the city a lot... and people seem to be very happy with their lives...
hi to everyone from rainy but still lovely prague

1 comment:

Bektour Iskender said...

I don't remember my room at the dorm, really. :) Cause I visited it just for sleeping and taking shower. I can't even remember the colour of my blanket. :)